Sunday, December 10, 2006

After some thoughts, I guess I won't go ahead with the litbud idea anymore. Guess its potential is quite limited. I am changing the direction I'm heading now. Instead on just focusing on litbud, I will diverse out to start a designing business. Litbud will still exist as a micro part of the new concept. I will still do character design and more.

There are a few factors that caused me to change. Firstly, I stumbled upon this website www.mojizu.com which has a collection of different character designed and contributed by other users. While browsing through the designs, I suddenly feel that litbud is so small and insignificant in this vast arena of character design. There are so many characters out there vying for a chance to get famous. My litbud would not stand out against them.

So I went back to analyse the growth potential of litbud and realised that its very limited, I'm almost touching the ceiling for it already. In the long term, nothing much can be done to develope it futher. It has already gone from just plain doodling on paper to having a website dedicated to itself. Anything more may be just creating a soft toy for it... So yar... I can't build a business just based on litbud alone...

Now I came up with a new concept. I will create a umbrella website encompassing all aspects of my designs. Then there will be a section for character design, and each character will own a small micro site dedicated to them. There will also be other sections for the other designs, which is still in the concept stage.

I guess this change is more suitable for me as I dun like my design to be constant. I realised that I keep changing and upgrading my designs too often. Litbud.com has undergone 3 major facelift within a year. And my personal blog, has been changing its design every few months. Except lately cos I haven't got the time to do it... haha...

So yar... somemore I dislike to dwell on a design for too long. I like to just finish it and move on. Thats why you see that my new website always last for like 1 months before I start working on a new design :S With this new concept I am able to keep changing my design. It somesort of like acts as a online portfolio for me.


Haha... then as I'm still in the stage of conceptualizing, litbud.com will stay there until my new website is up lar... haha... My 3 months of effort into this version 3 will last for another 3 months before its taken down... lol... see how fast my designs get taken down each time.


Other than these few factors there is also the financal part lar. I am still not financially stable to develop litbut futher, and litbud also hasn't mature enough for me to take the risk lar. So yar... this new concept will let me have time to develop other characters and when the right time comes I will be able to decide on which of my design has matured enough for me to take it to a new level.

Meanwhile, I'm also trying hard to upgrade my skills :D I want to try to master adobe illustrator. Its a very powerful program that the industry uses. So yar... it would be very good if I can master it.

Went out for recently for a family gathering. Then my aunt is like saying, that nowadays its very hard for middle age people to keep their jobs. Companies are retrenching old people. So my aunt has to take up courses to upgrade her skills.

So yar... I dun want this to happen to me next time. I want a safety net for myself when I get to that age. Cos I know that competition is going to increase by the day and by the time when I get to that age, my skills will get obsolete even faster. I dun want to by the age still go back to studies in hope to keep a job... To spell it more crudely, I dun want to beg to retain a job. Somemore even if you are willing to study, how far can you go to keep your competitivness? The young are always more energetic than you. So I've decided that the best way to escape this is to own your own business by then. As when you are your own boss, no one can retrench you. Even if its not a very big business, but then if I can earn enough for a decent living I will already be very contented.

But I know this is going to be a long and tedious process. I just wished that I would be lucky and be able to break free from the fate of being obsolete.

K lar, nothing much liao... bye :)

No comments: