Thursday, January 19, 2006

haiz... dun feel like complaining about work again... afterall everything would be over soon..... and I guess u all must also be bored from reading all the complains... haha.... So yar... shall share with u people something interesting that I've read. When I got back from work after my off day. I found this booklet in a shelve at my workplace. The title is "The road from man to Buddha" by The Venerable Yin Shun. I don't know how this book ended up there.... but because I was too bored and abit curious, I picked it up and read it. I'm not avocating Buddhism here... but here are some interesting things that I found in the book.

"Some may ask: What is the difference bewtween the thesistic and buddhist teachings? I say: Theistic teachings claim that the human plane of existence is inferior to the celestial plane, but buddhism claims that the human world is even better than the heavens. Now that you have acquired a human body, do not misuse it. You should respect your own body and try to develop fully the quality of man in you and strive upwards. "

The book goes on discussing why the human form is the best... and explained that celestial form also has its demerits.... Interesting hur?

It also listed the 3 supreme qualities of man.

1) Memories
2) Pure behaviour
3) Perserverance.

There is elaboration in the booklet on each of the qualities. But there's something really interesting about the first quality. Do you know that the word human (manusya) in the indian language orignially means memory? We humans are able to achieve so much development due to the fact that we are able to store information and built on it. Other beings has bad memory, therefore they are always back to the starting point when they have forgotten what they have achieve and how they achieved it.

Hmm... its kind of interesting to look at our existence from a different perspective. If I have a chance, I would also like to read about such stuffs from other religion as well :)

K lar... thats all for today... see ya~

No comments: