Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Hello :D Time for another entry :) Its only 4.16 now... but... nvm.... nothing to do... very bored... so decided to blog :) Haha... okay... shall continue to share some ideas from the book for the last time :) Haha... I've finished reading the book le :)

Okay... here goes...

" try harder, one of society's mantras, put enormous amount of pressure on individuals. Trying harder to do what? How hard is harder? When we are pushed into trying harder, we distort both our bodies and mind with tension. Tension has the tendency to make us miserable. If we tense ourselves further and felt even more miserable, would we learn anything? Would we do it quicker? Would be have more ideas? "

haha... well... I think the book is trying to tell us to let go.... when you think you have done your best, there is no point trying harder. Because thats already your best... if you force yourself even more... nothing would come out of it.... Haha.... I like the following statement...

" Trying harder generally means "treating the mind as though it were constipated and had to have ideas squeezed out of it" .

Haha.... so I think we should all try our best.... and not try harder :)

The following are some ideas I found interesting lar... nothing much to comment about :)

" In this world there are 2 tragedies: One is not getting what you want; the other is getting it." Oscar Wilde

Haha.... do you agree wif this statement? ( Gp essay :P ) haha..... Well... I think quite true lar.... The most recent example for me.... When studying.... I wish for holidays..... then started to complain when the school extended school by 2 weeks..... But now.... when I'm having holiday.... I want to get back to school!!! haha... its so bored at home... Haha.... come to think of I, I think I have to thank the school for extending school by 2 weeks.... It saved me from 2 weeks of torture :S .... see... haha.... just like the statement said.... the 2 tragedies.... :s

" Road are for journeys, not destination. "

Hmm.... kind of have the idea that process are more important than result :)

" How many times it thundered before Frankklin took the hint? How many apples fell on Newton's head before he took the hint? Nature is always hinting at us. " Robert Frost.

Hmm.... haha.... maybe I can also be a great person if I got the hint :P haha... nature :D More hints pls :P

" when they think they know the answers, people are difficult to guide. When they know that don't know, people can find their own way." Tao Te Ching

Ooo... haha.... I think the writer is very well read or have done lots of research that he can quote from Tao Te ching haha... which is a chinese book....

Okay.... hmm....if thats the case right... then there would be a need for teachers :D Cos we can all find our way.... :) Actually the book did mention a system where there is no teachers..... haha... quite interesting :)

Okay.... here are 2 simple exercises for you all to try :D

" Try counting to five without thinking of anything, and as soon as you think of somthing, go back to one. If you can actually do it, try counting to ten. It is an extrodinary hard thing to do, particularly when you are being challenged by a person to do something. That should be a clue as to things that might stop you emptying: doing things in response to a challenge, or force, makes it hard for you to let go. You already have a competitive aim and expectation in your head. Thats not empty."

Haha.... I tried it and can't make it past 5.... My mind kept thinking of something... haha.... the book is saying that if you want to receive new ideas and things. You have to empty your mind first cos our mind is already overflowing with many ideas that we perceive it to be right and if a new different idea comes in... you will not accept it... So its good to empty your minds once in a while so as to seek improvements :)

"Look at that lamp across the room. Now look back at me. Look back at the lamp. Now look back at me again. Do you see what you did? You BLINKED. Those are cuts. After the first look, you know that there's no reason to pan continuously from me to the lamp because you know what is in between. Your mind cut the scene. First you behold the lamp. CUT. Then you behold me." John Huston

Haha... it is actually trying to tell us that the different events in life are to be cut as not to confuse yourself. But... I guess thats quite difficult to undertand lar. So nvm.... just want to try it :D haha.... when you look from something to another.... you automatically blink :D haha... I;ve tried it and it really works :D haha

Okay... thats all for the book titled " The big difference" byNicola Phillips....

Well... found that it was a very nice book :D Introduced me to a lot of new ideas and perspective of the world we live in :) Then the book is also very reader friendly... you wun get bored reading the book :) haha.... and the way he write... It seems that he is talking to you.... he shows his emotion by using words like Phew... and interact wif you be saying I can see bla bla bla thoughts forming in your mind.... you can also 'read' the tone of his voice cos he used different text sizes. So all in all... this is a great book... I give it * * * * * 4 out of 5 stars :)

Okay lar... shall end here for now :) Will come back later at night :) Bye~

No comments: